Friday, August 31, 2012

PCP on DVD - Attack the Block

Sometimes I'll pick up a movie completely on a whim if I have absolutely nothing else to watch.  Attack the Block caught my eye at the library, and I saw that it was from the producers of Shaun of the Dead, probably my favorite zombie movie, so I thought "why not?"  Thankfully I wasn't burned this time and actually enjoyed the movie.

Attack the Block - 2011; Rated R.  My rating:  7 out of 10. 

Attack the Block is a British film through and through.  Shot in London by first-time writer/director Joe Cornish (apparently a rather popular comedian there) the film focuses on a gang of youths that have to defend themselves and their neighborhood from an alien invasion.  As the characters are all British youths, they of course speak in the latest British teen slang.  A good portion of which flew over my head, but if you turn the subtitles on you can pretty much figure out what they are saying from context. 

For a low-budget sci-fi flick, Attack the Block is actually surprisingly pretty decent.  The special effects aren't terrible and the director overcomes some of the shortfalls of a low budget by forcing the audience to use their imaginations as opposed to showing us directly the result of screams and gunshots, instead just showing us the aftermath in one particularly well done elevator sequence. 

In short, if you like sci-fi and can understand a fast talking British teenager, then check this film out, you'll probably enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment