Wednesday, August 8, 2012

PCP in Theaters - The Amazing Spider-Man

There are many people who feel that it was too soon to reboot the Spider-Man franchise.  I was one of those people.  Unfortunately, the character is too much of a cash cow to let it sit on the shelf unmilked, especially after the disappointing Spider-Man 3.  But I really wasn't that psyched for this new take on the character.  I went in to the theater not sure if I'd be disappointed or surprised.  It turned out to be the latter.

The Amazing Spider-Man - 2012; rated PG-13.  My rating:  9 out of 10.
I enjoyed the new Spidey very much.  I saw it in 2-D not 3-D so there are several shots that made me wish I had actually had a chance to catch it in 3-D.  The film does a number of first person flying as Spidey moments that probably would have been quite fun to see in 3-D. 

As a film, aside from the visual wonderment, I thought the new Spidey did a pretty good job of revising the origin story in a way that was partly more true to the comics.  Gone are the organic webshooters and back are the reloadable wrist shooters.  The film also breezed through more of the origin so they could better focus on developing the relationship between Peter & Gwen Stacy (no Mary Jane) and also to better develop the villain Dr. Connors.  It was also nice to see the film tackle a villain that hadn't been portrayed on screen in any of the 3 previous films (not counting Dr. Connors' appearance as one of Peter's professors in Spidey 3, but he was never portrayed as Lizard). 

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone had a great believable chemistry (which makes sense as they're now dating) that helped propel the film along, and the action sequences were top notch.  It's not as good as Spider-Man 2 was, but the film definitely does a great job of reestablishing the character.  I look forward to more visits with this take on Spidey in the years to come.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm sure he'll like the movie

      Delete
    2. I was really pretty eh on seeing this too but pleasantly surprised to see that I liked it. Then again I might have also just been happy to be in a movie theatre and not watching a movie at home and simultaneously having to listen to the baby's jumperoo music loudly blairing :)

      Delete
    3. Yeah not having the baby as a distraction automatically helps make any movie better!

      Delete
  2. I heard that Sony only rebooted this o they could keep the rights to the franchise as their contract was almost up. And with the huge success of Avengers there is always the possibility of Spider-man appearing there or at least a halo effect from those movies.

    I was not thrilled nor interested to see this in the theater. I'll wait until video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard that but it doesn't surprise me. The film is somewhat of a cash grab. At least it wasn't a half-assed cash grab.

      Delete