Wednesday, June 12, 2013

PCP on DVD - The Five-Year Engagement

I always enjoy a good romantic comedy.  I also tend to enjoy any film set in my favorite town on Earth, Ann Arbor.  The Five Year Engagement manages to combine both, with a large portion of the film set in Ann Arbor, and they actually took the time to film in town and on Michigan's campus.  Seeing some of my favorite sights & places incorporated into the movie was a nice bonus.

The Five-Year Engagement - 2012, rated R.  My rating:  8 out of 10.

The Five-Year Engagement is the story of an engaged couple, Jason Segel and Emily Blunt, who keep delaying their nuptials due to various obstacles that pop up in their lives, but in reality they are just making excuses.  The film has a lot of funny moments, especially Segel's descent into an extremely odd woodsman lifestyle after being uprooted to Michigan from San Francisco to stay with Blunt.  Blunt herself is great in the role, showing a far more relaxed and funny side to herself than she has shown in some of her other work, and Segel is funny and self deprecating as usual. 

Overall, the film is decent and entertaining, and for any Ann Arborite there is plenty to see including most of Michigan's central campus as well as Zingerman's Deli.  My one beef with the film is that Segel's character is a chef who has a hard time finding work in Ann Arbor.  I found that to be a bit of a stretch, simply due to the sheer volume of awesome restaurants on Main Street, as well as the proximity of Detroit and its suburbs within easy driving distance.  Aside from that logistical script hole however, I enjoyed the rest of the film quite a bit and I recommend it for viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment