Wednesday, June 26, 2013

PCP - So am I a nerd or no?

So I am midway through my second week of all sci-fi content here on the blog. It got me to thinking, am I a nerd or no? By some classifications, I am totally a nerd, but by others I am not. For example, I would never be able to be on a show like King of the Nerds, as I am not nerdy enough to qualify for that type of nerd. On the other hand, I love sci-fi and fantasy pop culture. So, let's take a look at the evidence for and against whether or not I am a nerd, and I'll leave it to you to decide just how nerdy I am. If I am to be considered a nerd, I think that I am more of a jack of all trades kind of nerd, as I have nerdy interests but I don't go full nerd for anything in particular.

Points in favor of my nerdship:

  • I have watched the following sci-fi/fantasy shows in their entirety: Star Trek TNG & DS9; Battlestar Galactica (the 2000s version not the original); Fringe; Babylon 5; Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Highlander, Game of Thrones, Stargate Universe, & Lost. I have watched at least half of the episodes of: The X-Files, Stargate Universe, The Walking Dead & Star Trek Voyager.
  • In my old bedroom I had movie posters on the wall for Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Matrix, Hellboy, & Army of Darkness.
  • I have attended a Star Trek convention, and I want to go to Comic-con.
  • I read comics in the Marvel universe, as well as The Walking Dead.
  • I watch a lot of sci-fi movies, as evidenced by my reviews the past two weeks. I rarely miss a sci-fi film that comes out. Ditto with comic book movies, I have seen every single one, and own almost all of them, even the bad ones like Daredevil.
  • I used to play Magic the Gathering and still own several decks of cards.
  • I love tabletop board and card games, and I own some games that are only sold at comic book stores such as Zombies, Guillotine, & Munchkin.
  • I own four working video game consoles, including an old NES that I still play from time to time. I used to have six, but one broke (my Genesis) and one I gave away to my sister-in-law (my N64).
  • My favorite outfits for my son include his Star Trek onesie, Star Wars hoodie, and several superhero outfits.
  • I read a lot. Typically, I read at least one book a week.
  • I am really really good at trivia.
Points against my nerdship:
  • There are plenty of sci-fi shows that I haven't watched, most notably the original Star Trek, the series Enterprise, and also Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Also, as much as I loved Serenity, I still haven't seen every episode of Firefly.
  • In addition to the movie posters (I did work in a theater so they were free and awesome), I also had my walls decorated with tons of sports memorabilia, especially Michael Jordan stuff.
  • I have only gone to one Star Trek convention, and that was over 15 years ago. Also, I did not do any cos-play for it, and I do not have any cos-play stuff for any geeky subject matter.
  • While I read comics, I only read some of them, and I only read them when I am killing time at my local Barnes & Noble. Also, I am not a big fan of DC comics so my knowledge of DC characters is far lower than my knowledge for Marvel. I haven't bought a comic in a decade.
  • I don't just watch a lot of sci-fi or comic book movies, I watch a ton of movies period, as evidenced by my blog here and the 150+ movies I've reviewed here in two years.
  • I sold the majority of my Magic the Gathering collection a couple years ago, only holding on to my most valuable and best cards, to either sell them in the future or pass them down to my son Jackson.  
  • I have never played Dungeons & Dragons. Instead, I played varsity football and lacrosse in high school.
  • Despite owning several video game consoles, I rarely actually have time to play them. Of the 8 games I own for my Xbox 360, I have only beaten 3 of them thus far, and only played 5 of them.
  • You can't blame me for getting my kid cute geeky outfits. They're just so adorable. Just look at the hoodie pictured here, and imagine a baby inside it. Once Jackson grows into this, he's going to be so adorable. Even though he won't fit in to this until this fall, even huge on him this was so frakkin' cute it is unbelievable.

  • Yes I do read a lot, but the majority of what I read is mystery, action, and spy novels. I actually read sci-fi/fantasy as less than 5% of the books I read.
  • Yes, I am really good at trivia, but that's because I have a really really good memory.

OK so those are the points and counterpoints of my nerddom. So tell me, am I a nerd or no? I won't be offended either way. Hit me up in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. You know what makes someone a nerd or not? Very simple. It is not about WHAT you love. It is HOW you love! It is being passionate, energetic, and obsessed with things beyond normal use. You can have sports nerds, garden nerds, knitting nerds. It is the dedication and commitment to those passions beyond what those not interested in those things that defines someone as a "nerd".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then by that definition I guess you can say that I am a movie nerd, because I have an obsession with watching everything I can and then writing about it, obviously.

      Delete
  2. I think you fully classify as movie nerd with a slant towards particular genres. You're nerd-spermenting!

    ReplyDelete