Monday, June 10, 2013

PCP on DVD - Conan the Barbarian

There is really only one reason I took the time to see this film.  Conan the Barbarian is played by Jason Momoa, better known to me as Khal Drogo from one of my favorite TV shows, Game of Thrones.  I wanted to see how he would do in a starring role.  While I watched the film I realized that one of Conan's sidekicks in the film was the same actor as Xaro on Game of Thrones as well, so now there were two actors from GoT in this movie.  Would it be enough to save the film from being a total waste of time?

Conan the Barbarian - 2011, rated R.  My rating: 5 out of 10.

To answer my previous question, no, not really.  Conan has gore and violence aplenty, as well as the requisite hammy acting from any remake of an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.  Stephen Lang (Avatar) & Rose McGowan (Planet Terror) totally ham it up as the film's villainous duo, and while they have their entertaining moments, they are mostly rather cheesy.  Neither they nor Hellboy himself Ron Perlman nor the opening voiceover of Morgan Freeman can help the film overcome the terrible script and wooden acting.  Overall, the film left me feeling rather meh about the whole experience, and wishing I hadn't tainted my memories of Jason Momoa's run on Game of Thrones with having watched this movie.  It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it isn't particularly anything to write home about either.

No comments:

Post a Comment