Friday, May 17, 2013

PCP on DVD - Lockout

I've always enjoyed watching Guy Pearce as an actor, he's turned in some of my favorite performances in the past, especially in Memento and L.A. Confidential - two of my favorite movies of the past 15 years.  I've never really seen him as an action star however.  In Lockout, he tries to become one and he relatively succeeds. 

Lockout - 2012, rated PG-13 (though I watched the unrated version).  My rating:  6 out of 10.

I feel like I've seen this movie before.  Let me think on the plot... former government operative turned convict has to go and rescue a member of the First Family from a fortified maximum security prison environment.  Hmm...where have I heard this one before?  Oh yeah, when it was called Escape from New York and Escape from L.A.  This film might as well have been titled Escape from Space.  Guy Pearce stars as Snow, the alternate version of Snake Plissken from the Escape films.  He has more snark to him than Snake though, and his lines in the film are funny and entertaining.  He has to infiltrate the space station prison that has had a prisoner uprising in order to rescue the President's daughter, played by Maggie Grace.

The film is pretty straightforward and predictable, and some of the characters are too dumb to live (and don't) but at least it pulls off its action sequences well.  Pearce handles himself better in the actions sequences than I would have expected, so maybe he'll have a second career as an action star similar to Liam Neeson.  Overall, the film is okay, nothing spectacular but nothing terrible either.  It butchers physics however, so science nerds will hate this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment