Friday, July 29, 2011

PCP on DVD - 12 supershort reviews

Ok so my wife pointed out to me that my backlog will never get cleared out unless I really clear them out en masse.  She also pointed out that I should focus more on the newer releases on DVD, instead of the older stuff that we caught on DVD.  So, I’m going to wipe out my entire backlog of everything that is from 2009 or older in one fell swoop, with super short reviews- twitter sized reviews basically.  So here’s my quick thoughts on 12 films from 2009 or older that for some reason or another we watched on DVD within the past couple months.

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant.  My rating:  6 out of 10.  It’s ok, not great.  Hayek and Reilly are entertaining, but the movie is only average.

Planet 51.  My rating:  6 out of 10.  Cute but not great.  Decent kids movie, not as much there for the adults though.

The Joneses.  My rating:  7 out of 10.  Very interesting dark comedy with a disturbing and creepy premise.  Marketing majors would find this especially interesting.  Good social commentary on the consumer nation we live in.

Good Hair.  My rating:  7 out of 10.  Funny and interesting look into the world of hair, documentary made by Chris Rock.  You’ll never look at a weave the same way again.

Why Did I Get Married?  My rating:  6 out of 10.  Average film with a message from Tyler Perry.  Better than its sequel.

Surrogates.  My rating:  5 out of 10.  Promising premise, so-so execution.  It’s ok.  If you don’t like sci-fi take a pass.

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle.  My rating:  7 out of 10.  Rebecca De Mornay is great and chilling in this, very creepy.  A bit cheesy though, kind of shows its age a little bit (it is 20 years old now).

Carriers.  My rating:  4 out of 10.  I wouldn’t have watched this if it didn’t star Captain Kirk aka Chris Pine.  Even then though, not worth really watching.  Rather bleak and depressing, and not particularly good.

The Time Traveler’s Wife.  My rating:  7 out of 10.  Cute and sappy, guaranteed to make your wife cry.  Not a romantic comedy though, more like a romantic drama, which is more depressing.

Surf Ninjas.  My rating:  3 out of 10.  I wouldn’t have watched this if my wife didn’t force me to, as she loved it when she was a kid.  Terrible film, super cheesy.  I guess it would have been better if I had watched this back when it came out, when I was 12, but at 29 it is just weak.

Dahmer.  My rating:  5 out of 10.  Jeremy Renner is creepy as heck as serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer.  Unfortunately the rest of the movie is only average.

Lilo & Stitch.  My rating:  8 out of 10.  Probably the best Disney non-Pixar film of the past 15 years.  Funny and heartwarming.  I’ll definitely be adding this to the collection of movies I’m buying for my soon to arrive child.

Ok so now the backlog is down to 39.  I’ll also be cranking out the 2010 films I’ve seen like this shortly, then I’ll go back to longer reviews on the films from 2011.  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment