Thursday, April 28, 2011

PCP in Theaters - Easy A

NOTE - this was originally posted by me on my friend's blog 9/23/10 when this was actually in theaters.
Review: Easy A. Rating:  4 out of 5 stars.
Easy A caught me off guard.  I was expecting it to have a couple entertaining moments but to not actually be that good.  It turns out it was great.  I was laughing out loud at a number of moments in the film.  Emma Stone was awesome as the lead Olive, and she had a ton of great lines in this film, the writers really helped her out a lot with some awesome dialogue.  I think I laughed the most though at her parents, Stanley Tucci (The Devil Wears Prada) and Patricia Clarkson (The Green Mile), who were two of the coolest movie parents I’ve seen in awhile, very hilarious.  Amanda Bynes (She’s the Man) was also good though as the over the top caricature Marianne, the resident crusader on campus, and great small roles are also given to Penn Badgley (Gossip Girl), Thomas Haden Church (Spider-Man 3), Lisa Kudrow (Friends), and Malcolm McDowell (Halloween), especially the latter 3 steal the scenes they are in.  Easy A catches you off guard because it makes you think it is going to be yet another lame teen comedy, but it actually has a lot of depth and some good satire of other popular teen films, with some nice 80s references thrown in also.  Rare these days for a teen comedy, you actually start to care about the characters by the time the film is over, and you want to visit their world again.  With its very witty dialogue and memorable characters, Easy A has also joined my holiday wishlist for movies I want this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment