Tuesday, May 13, 2014

PCP in Theaters - Summer Movie Preview 2014

So, the summer movie season is upon us, and with it comes two things: the end of my grad school hiatus and the resumption of my regular posting to the blog, and my 2nd annual Summer Movie Preview! Although, summer movie season seems to start earlier and earlier every year. We already had Captain America: The Winter Soldier back on April 4th, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 a week and a half ago, but those are both considered to be "summer blockbusters" in terms of their content.

Just like last year, I'm going to go through the entire lineup of films from May through August, and break them down into one of three categories: those I want to see in theaters, i.e. the blockbusters that I'm most excited for; those that can wait until Blu-ray (which isn't that much of a loss for me, since I have a hi-def projector so my house is practically a theater anyway); and those I'll only see if I find a way to start getting paid to see movies. I have managed thus far to not see any of the movies from that last category from last year's list as of this writing.

Also, a quick formatting note: all films' release dates listed are approximate and subject to change based on the whims of the movie studios, and I am also just listing the Friday of the week that they come out, in some cases the films might actually be released on Wednesday or Thursday of that week.

Disagree with where I put something? Let me know in the comments!

In theaters movies: (so many blockbusters, so little time. I just hope all of these are good and not a waste of money!)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (May 2) - Although I'm starting to worry a little bit that the film is going to have too many villains, it's a comic book movie so I'm pretty much guaranteed to see this film. Early buzz (as of me writing this on April 21) suggests that the film might not be worth seeing in theaters after all, but I'm sure I'll still see this eventually.
  • Godzilla (May 16) - It looks like we're finally going to get a Godzilla film worthy of the name, unlike the last time they tried to make one for American audiences. My wife doesn't particularly want to see this though, but maybe I'll be able to talk her into it.
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23) - The latest installment in the X-Men franchise looks pretty bad-ass, and I'm looking forward to their take on one of my favorite comic book stories. Plus, it has Peter Dinklage in it (Tyrion Lannister on Game of Thrones) so that alone makes it worth watching.
  • Maleficent (May 30) - I like Angelina Jolie on screen, she's one of my favorite stars, so I know I'll be seeing this dark fairy tale related to Sleeping Beauty. Plus, my wife is really excited for this one, so we'll be seeing it for sure.
  • Edge of Tomorrow (June 6) - I enjoyed Tom Cruise's last sci-fi outing, Oblivion, and this one looks like it'll be a very interesting trip as well. I like sci-fi that makes you think, and this film, based on its trailer, looks like it will be a twisty and unpredictable journey.
  • Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (July 11) - I liked Rise of the Planet of the Apes quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to the sequel set a decade after the virus released at the end of the prior film has decimated the human population.
  • Jupiter Ascending (July 18) - I'll give pretty much any film from the Wachowskis a shot, and this one looks pretty epic visually. I just hope it's entertaining, like their best film The Matrix, and not just all style and no substance like their worst, Speed Racer.
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (August 1) - If this one is a hit, it will prove that Marvel is minting money, since this is a property that most people aren't familiar with, yet somehow it all ties into their ever expanding Avengers universe. The first trailer was witty and made the film look like a lot of fun, so a super-hero movie that doesn't take itself seriously will probably be a success.
After the jump the post continues with what I'll watch from the comfort of my couch, and what I'll try to avoid ever seeing. --->



On Blu-ray movies: (I may wind up seeing some of these in theaters, but for the most part these can wait until video. For horror and comedy, I prefer to watch these at home compared to in theaters anyway)
  • Walk of Shame (May 2) - Elizabeth Banks is pretty hilarious, so I'll give this one a shot because she's the star.
  • Belle (May 2) - A biographical period film on race relations in the late 1700s doesn't exactly scream must watch to me, but it's getting some good buzz so I'll probably catch this eventually.
  • Neighbors (May 9) - Seth Rogen usually makes comedies that I enjoy, so I'm sure I'll watch this one at some point.
  • Chef (May 9) - This comedy has Robert Downey Jr, Jon Favreau, & Scarlett Johansson, so it's practically an Iron Man spin off. I'll eventually see this, just because it has those 3 in it.
  • The Double (May 9) - This is an interesting looking film about a man named Simon James, who's life gets turned upside-down when a doppelganger named James Simon joins the same company & starts messing with his life. Jesse Eisenberg plays both.
  • Cold in July (May 23)  - Despite the stupid release date (what, they couldn't release this in July?) I like the cast involved in this murderous thriller, especially Dexter's Michael C. Hall.
  • Blended (May 23) - The previous two pairings of Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore (50 First Dates and the Wedding Singer) were some of Sandler's best films. Let's hope the third time is a charm too, because his movies have been pretty awful lately.
  • A Million Ways to Die in the West (May 30) - the red band version of the trailer for Seth MacFarlane's twisted western had me cracking up, and if the film is as good as his last live-action outing, Ted, this one is going to be pretty hilarious.
  • 22 Jump Street (June 13) I loved the 21 Jump Street reboot, and if this one is half as funny it'll still be pretty awesome. Channing Tatum's recent hit streak is likely to continue with this one.
  • How to Train Your Dragon 2 (June 13) - The first HTTYD was pretty amazing, easily the best Dreamworks animated film. The only reason this is on the home video category instead of the in-theaters category is because I'll want to watch this with my son, but he's still a little bit too young to watch this in theaters.
  • The Rover (June 13) - A post apocalyptic film set in the Australian Outback, with vehicular mayhem. Sounds like The Road Warrior, and if it's as good as that then this'll become a cult classic. Plus it stars Guy Pearce, and he's awesome.
  • Jersey Boys (June 20) - I really enjoyed this jukebox musical when I saw it on stage, so I'm curious how good it will be when adapted to the screen. I hope they do a good job with it. It helps that the Tony-winning lead from Broadway reprises his role though.
  • Transformers: Age of Extinction (June 27) - The Transformers series used to be mandatory in theaters films for me, but I'm just not really feeling this one yet. I'll still see this though, but more likely at home than in theaters.
  • Snowpiercer (June 27) - A post apocalyptic sci fi film with class warfare undertones, starring Captain America himself, Chris Evans. It looks interesting, but the question is, will American audiences get the longer director's cut, or will the studio insist on an edited film for our impatient audiences? From what I've heard, the directors cut is superior, so I'll catch that on DVD.
  • They Came Together (June 27) - A satire rom-com with Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd, from the guy that brought you Wet, Hot American Summer? Oh yeah, I'm seeing this.
  • Earth to Echo (July 4) - It's a sci-fi film, so I'll see it eventually. But since it's targeted towards a younger audience, I'll wait until my son is old enough and watch this with him.
  • Planes: Fire & Rescue (July 18) - I don't particularly want to see this film (I never saw the first one) but I'm sure my son will love it once he's old enough, so I'll see it eventually. Last year's Planes was in the "I'll Pass" category, but in hindsight I wasn't thinking about watching it with my son in the future so it gets a retroactive promotion to this tier too.
  • I Origins (July 18) - An indie sci-fi flick that explores the origins of life on Earth, when a biologist makes a discovery with massive ramifications for society. It's getting great buzz from the film fest circuit.
  • Sex Tape (July 25) - Cameron Diaz & Jason Segel star in what looks like is going to be a pretty funny and raunchy film. When either of them does a raunchy comedy, it's usually pretty good, so I'm looking forward to this one.
  • Hercules (July 25) - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in the role he was born to play. This one should be a fun one.
  • Happy Christmas (July 25) - Why a film with this title is coming out in July is beyond me, but I'll see this indie comedy because it has Anna Kendrick in it and she's awesome. 
  • A Most Wanted Man (July 25) - This cerebral spy flick was one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's final completed films before his tragic death, and the film festival circuit reviews said it was one of his best performances, so I'll see it based on that alone.
  • Get On Up (August 1) - The James Brown biopic, if nothing else, will feature great music and great acting, since the incredible star of the Jackie Robinson biopic 42, Chadwick Boseman, this time steps into a different iconic role.
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (August 8) - I'll probably see this because TMNT was a big part of my childhood, and it could possibly be good, but on the other hand, Michael Bay is the Devil, so this could be really awful.
  • Lucy (August 8) - I hadn't heard of this Scarlett Johannson flick until seeing the trailer for it on Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but I was impressed with the trailer. She gets exposed to a drug that rapidly expands her mental abilities to almost god-like levels, and the visuals in the film looked very striking. This might get bumped into the "in theaters" category if it gets solid reviews.
  • The Expendables 3 (August 15) - Since I know my wife has no desire to see this one at all, this'll wait until DVD for me, because I hate seeing movies alone. Cheesy as they are, I did enjoy the first two in this franchise, so I'll see this. This one also adds Harrison Ford, Wesley Snipes, Antonio Banderas, & Mel Gibson to the already star-laden cast.
  • The Giver (August 15) - The extremely popular young adult classic novel comes to life on the big screen, with an incredible cast including Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges. I hope they do it justice.
  • Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (August 22) - While the violence was way over the top in the first one, I did enjoy the film's visual style, so I'll see this one probably just for the images, even if the plot sucks.
I'll pass, thanks: (I'll only watch these if I've seen everything in the first two categories, or if they wind up getting good reviews)
  • Palo Alto (May 9) - While I liked Emma Roberts in the most recent season of American Horror Story, I'm not really interested in seeing an indie film that revolves around multiple topics including a teenager having a sexual relationship with their coach. Not exactly summer movie material for me.
  • Million Dollar Arm (May 16) - A movie about John Hamm trying to find some Indian cricket players to pitch in MLB has no appeal to me.
  • Tracks (May 23) - A biopic about a real woman who roamed alone for 1700 miles in the Australian Outback sounds really, really compelling. Oh wait, no, it doesn't.
  • The Fault in Our Stars (June 6) - A teenage romantic drama about a couple that met at a cancer support group. Yeah, that's kind of a buzzkill. It does star the lead from Divergent though.
  • Obvious Child (June 6) - Apparently June 6th is buzzkill weekend, this one is a romantic comedy that centers around an abortion. Yeah, no thanks.
  • Think Like A Man Too (June 20) - The first one had its moments but was a pretty shallow film. I'm not sure I'd want to hang out with these characters again. Especially if Steve Harvey keeps popping up randomly.
  • La Bare (June 27) - A documentary about male strippers. Yeah, no.
  • Tammy (July 4) While Melissa McCarthy is pretty funny, I just don't really have any desire to see this one. But, I'm not the film's target audience anyways.
  • The Purge: Anarchy (July 18) - I never saw the first film in the franchise, it just didn't really appeal to me, and I'm not particularly interested in seeing the hastily made sequel either.
  • Magic in the Moonlight (July 25) - I'm not really interested in seeing Woody Allen movies anymore, given the recent allegations of his misdeeds in the past.
Alright, if you're still reading at this point, are there any films you disagree with me on? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment