Wednesday, July 10, 2013

PCP on DVD - The Raven

Edgar Allen Poe was one of the first poets and first horror writers I read when I was growing up. I still have in my book collection a copy of his complete works that I peruse from time to time. So a mystery thriller based on his work starring John Cusack as Poe? Sure, I'll give that a shot.

The Raven - 2012, rated R.  My rating:  6 out of 10.

The Raven is a story set in the waning days of Poe's life. Someone is murdering people using methods described in some of Poe's writings, and the police call him in to consult (after first thinking he is a suspect). If that plot sounds familiar, it is because that is basically the plot of the pilot episode of the TV show Castle.

Cusack is a good Poe, he is probably one of the best things of this film. Visually, the film is gorgeous, but it is also somewhat boring and dull in places as well. The resolution of the film is not as satisfying as it could have been either.

Overall, the film is pretty middle of the road average. You wouldn't have missed anything by missing this film. But if you like Cusack (like I do) then give the film a shot because he does his best to redeem it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment