Friday, July 5, 2013

PCP on DVD - Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

As I have my history teaching degree (even though I'm not a teacher), I always enjoy a good historical movie. I like them even more when they are crazy, over the top fun (like Inglorious Basterds). Also, I thoroughly enjoyed Wanted, and the director of AL:VH is the same man, Timur Bekmambetov, so when this film was announced, I was looking forward to it.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - 2012, rated R.  My rating: 6 out of 10.

Based on the book of the same name (by the author of Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, Seth Grahame-Smith), AL:VH is a fun little historical mashup, combining America's greatest president with awesome vampire slaying abilities. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend that, it was a ton of fun. Unfortunately I can't quite say the same for the film. AL:VH has its moments, including a really cool action sequence atop a train, but in general the film is just kind of flat outside of the action sequences. Those are all done very well though, but action is something the director has down to an art. Plot and pacing in quiet moments, not so much.

Overall, if you like historical humor, or like vampire movies, then you'll enjoy AL:VH. If not, then you probably won't miss much if you don't see the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment