Wednesday, August 17, 2011

FML - Why I'm looking forward to having a kid

So for those of you that are not aware, I am going to be a father for the first time this December; my wife and I are expecting a boy.  As his arrival gets closer and closer, I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the things that I am looking forward to sharing with my son.  So, without further ado, these are the things I’m most looking forward to sharing with my son once he’s old enough to appreciate them.  I just hope that he likes them as much as I do, and I hope I won’t be too disappointed if he doesn’t.

Authors/Books for when he’s a kid:  Shel Silverstein, Bearenstain Bears; Dr. Seuss.

Authors/Books for when he gets old enough:  Stephen King, JRR Tolkein, CS Lewis, James Patterson, Clive Cussler, John Sandford, David Baldacci; Vince Flynn, Tom Clancy.  Also, graphic novels in general, and the Marvel universe in particular.  I hope my kid likes comics :-D

TV Series on DVD for when he’s a kid:  DVDs of the old school stuff I grew up on – Schoolhouse Rock, GI Joe, Thundercats, He-Man, Looney Tunes, Tiny Tunes, Animaniacs.

TV series on DVD for when he gets old enough:  Anything classic sci-fi, but especially Lost, Babylon 5, Fringe, Battlestar Galactica, & any Star Trek franchise.  In the realm of non sci-fi – Castle, 24, Big Bang Theory, Band of Brothers, & The Pacific.

Movies for when he’s a kid:  Princess Bride, Star Wars (and they’ll be watched in the proper order: IV, V, VI, I, II, III – I can’t wait to see the look on his face when he finds out Vader is Luke’s dad.  I hope he doesn’t have that spoiled for him I’ll have to get him young on that), anything by Pixar, How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda, and the classic Disney movies.

Movies for when he gets old enough:  Lord of the Rings, Fight Club, Seven, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, Army of Darkness, Dark Knight, Top Gun, The Killer, Hard Boiled, Usual Suspects & Saving Private Ryan.  Also, if he shows a true appreciation for film, I’m really looking forward to showing him really old stuff such as Akira Kurosawa & Alfred Hitchcock.  I’m hoping that for films with a twist ending, by the time he watches them since they’ve been out for so many years that the endings will not be commonly discussed in pop culture anymore, so he gets shocked by the ending of Fight Club, 6th Sense, Usual Suspects, and other films like that.  I really hope that he goes into those films unspoiled so that I can see the look on his face when the twist comes.  Who knows though, maybe he’ll be like his mom and see the twists coming a mile away.

Sports teams to follow:  anything from Chicago and anything for the University of Michigan.  The first piece of clothing I bought my son was a U of M onesie and he also has a U of M mobile for his crib.  That boy is going to grow up fanatical about U of M football just like his old man.

Sports teams to hate:  The Yankees, Ohio State, Green Bay Packers, Michigan State, & Notre Dame.

Video games and board games.  The kid is going to be gaming a lot just like his dad.  I like the Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection for the Xbox 360 so that he can play the games I played when he was that age, and so he can see just how lucky he is to live in an age that isn’t 8 or 16 bit graphics anymore. 



So those are just some of the things I’m looking forward to sharing with my kid.  I’m sure there are plenty more things that will come to me as I’m going through this new chapter in my life.  Hopefully I can still keep up with my blogging, although going forward there might be more posts about my son mixed in with posts about pop culture.  I haven’t decided if I am going to start a separate blog for posts about my family or not, that remains to be seen.  Anyways, thanks for dropping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment